|THE GEORGE GUIDA HOUSE, Macfarlane Park, West Tampa|
George Guida, Sr. was known as Mr. West Tampa.
He was a civic leader, founder of Central Bank of Tampa, founder of George
Guida & Son Home Furnishing & Decorating, and a building contractor.
died in 1986 at age 71.
The main entrance drive in Macfarlane Park in West Tampa is named for George Guida, and this marker is placed at the foot of the hill.
Click to enlarge
Place your cursor on the photos on this page to see them in color
property is located at 1516 N. Renfrew Ave. and occupies a whole square block.
It is bordered by Lincoln Avenue on the west,
Renfrew Avenue and the Macfarlane Park tennis courts on the east, Main St.
on the north, and Green St. on the south with I-275 alongside.
The art deco, two-story home was built in
1951. It was purchased by the city in 1984** to tear it down and create
more green space in Macfarlane Park. But residents raised awareness of the
home's significance and now it is protected as a local historical
landmark, designated as such in 2004. Since it was bought with funds from
the city's parks department budget, the house must remain a part of the
parks department. (**Another sources says it was purchased in 1994.)
Although repairs have been made to the home to preserve it, the building has deteriorated. Its ceiling and walls are damaged. Vandals have spray-painted parts of the structure. There is water damage from a leaky roof.
|The front door faces Renfrew Avenue,
to the east.
A city official said it would cost $1 million to rehabilitate the home, which has ceiling and wall damage. The restoration would have to comply with the standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the city's Architectural Review Commission.
|Plans by subsequent
developers had various purposes in mind. The lone proposal, submitted in
2008 by Earth First Development Corp., was rejected by the city because
the plan didn't serve a "park purpose' as outlined in the guidelines.
Earth First planned to build a three-story, 14,700-square-foot building on
the property for children and teen programs. It also wanted to build eight
apartments for young families and seniors. The proposal included creating
up to 95 parking spaces. The city received two other proposals from
potential developers in January 2009, but they were submitted after the
MORE West Tampa
pages at Tampapix:
Albany Avenue - See the orignal "Academy of the Holy Names" and cigar factories on Albany Ave.
Columbus Drive Bridge - The Gateway to West Tampa, Hillsborough River & Rivercrest Park
Fire Station No. 9 at Tampania and Chestnut St.
Fort Homer Hesterly Armory has showcased everything from NWA wrestling to JFK, Pink Floyd and Elvis.
George Guida house at MacFarlane Park - Once the home of "Mr. West Tampa"
Howard Avenue - Travel along Howard Ave. from Main St. to St. Louis St.
La Ideal Cafeteria at Tampa Bay Blvd. and Gomez Ave., a popular West Tampa landmark
La Teresita Grocery Store at Columbus Drive and Lincoln Ave.
MacFarlane Park - A favorite of West Tampans, named for the father of West Tampa
Raymond James Stadium - Home of the 2002 NFL Champions Tampa Bay Bucs and Super Bowl 43
Tampa Bay Blvd. Elementary School - Built in 1926 to educate cigar workers' children
West Tampa Little League Ball Park - Home of the 1970 Senior Little League World Champs
West Tampa History - The cigar that sparked a revolution, and Fernando Figueredo, West Tampa's first mayor.